I am sure most of you already know Korie will have detethering of her spinal cord in the morning. I wanted to take a minute to try and explain her situation. We came to Boston knowing there was a possibility of her having this done, but after her tests on Wednesday I really thought we would return home without surgery. The urologist and neurologist that did her urodynamic testing were impressed with how well her bladder is functioning. They told me they would be very surprised if Dr. Warf decided to operate based on this particular test. Then they went on and on about what a good baby she is! We saw Dr. Warf Friday morning and after going over Korie’s symptoms and test results he decided he didn’t think it was appropriate to operate at this time. As the visit was coming to an end he decided he wanted to go ahead and get baseline x-rays of her spine to send home with us because of the suspected scoliosis. It turns out Korie has a 46 degree curve in her spine, which is NOT good.
A few excerpts from Dr. Warf’s note for those interested… “I obtained scoliosis spine x-ray on her during the clinic visit. This demonstrated a 46 degree thoracolumbar curve convex to the left. Because there did not appear to be any segmentation formation deformities, this appears to be a neurogenic scoliosis that is already quite significant in its severity.”
“As reported in 1990s by McLone , if tethered cord-driven scoliosis in these children is caught soon enough (less than 50 degrees) there is a higher rate of success in stabilizing or reversing the curve by untethering the cord. At a minimum here we would hope to at least delay the need for orthopedic intervention. The early clubfoot recurrence is consistent with this diagnosis as well. In Korie’s case, the risk of untethering should be low.” Surgery is scheduled for 10:30 in the morning, he said it should last 4-5 hours. She will have to remain flat for 48 hours, which will be fun I’m sure! We will be in the hospital until the weekend at least, and will stay in Boston until June 15th. I feel comfortable with the decisions that have been made. I am praying this will be the last of her surgeries and will physically give her the boost she needs.
And finally, a few pics from the past week!
I am bummed I didn’t get a good picture of myself and Sharla. She is a treasure to me and I have know idea what I would do without her.